**Members only event**
Click here to register. Please note this is for members only.
This is an AHUA webinar hosted by Shakespeare Martineau. You will be asked to participate in small discussion groups.
For a number of years now there has been an underlying trend in higher education law, regulation and policy towards greater government control of universities. This session will explore:
- how developments since HERA 2017 have eroded institutional autonomy;
- how that trend has accelerated and expanded through OfS and DfE interventions to address the impact of the Covid-19 emergency on the HE sector;
- what does this mean for the landscape of the sector;
- what the implications of this are for those responsible for leading and managing universities;
- what are the risks to the student and public interest of these trends;
- what can universities do to reverse these trends?
The session will consist of an opening “provocation” followed by breakout groups and a concluding plenary. We will aim to agree some key messages and actions so that participants and AHUA can help shift the dial on the public discourse around the importance of an autonomous and thriving university sector.