Dr Jonathan Nicholls Memorial Essay Prize Award Ceremony
The winner of the Dr Jonathan Nicholls Essay Prize Competition will be announced at a special ceremony, hosted by the AHUA, at The Shard in London on 22 June.
Attendees will include the shortlisted essayists, judging panel and guests. If you would like to join us for this special event, please email email@example.com or complete this online form to RSVP by 2nd June.
The competition was proposed by members of AHUA, of which Jonathan was a member and chair, as a way to pay tribute to a much valued member of their community who died in tragic circumstances in March 2022.
Entrants were required to write an essay on the following:
- Higher Education Reimagined: identify one innovative idea that would transform HE institutions for the better and consider how we make it happen in practice.
Entrants included professional services and academic staff, staff in associated HE organisations, undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral students.
The ceremony will celebrate the work of the nine short-listed essayists, one of whom will be awarded the prize and publication in the journal Perspectives.
The panel, chaired by Nicola Dandridge, Professor of Practice in Higher Education Policy at the University of Bristol and former chief executive of the Office for Students, comprises:
- Joanne Caldwell, Manager, Centre for Doctoral Training, University of Salford, joint editor of Perspectives
- Smita Jamdar, Partner and Head of Education, Shakespeare Martineau
- Lee Sanders, Registrar, University of Birmingham
- Professor Mike Shattock, Centre for Global Higher Education, University of Oxford and former Registrar at the University of Warwick
- Professor Graham Virgo, University of Cambridge